Surroundings

The hotel is conveniently located for our guests to easily reach any landmark in town or to just wander through the town’s alleys, called “Carruggi” in the local dialect.

Just think (how easy): you come back from a whole day at the beach or from hiking somewhere around the island, you just park your car and take a relaxing walk to the hotel!

Carloforte

ARCHIOTTU

There is an arch in the middle of Solferino Street facing Piazza Repubblica (1 minute walk- from the Nichotel), known to all the islanders as the “archióttu”. When and why this name was given, no one knows for sure. But many people say that this arch was constructed sometime near the end of the eighteenth century and that it was the door to the garden of the family, at that time one of the wealthiest families of Carloforte. This place is perhaps one of the most photographed corners of Carloforte.  It has been the subject of many paintings and sketches, and visitors who visit the town in summer often stop to admire it and have their photograph taken in front of it.  

HISTORIC CENTRE

The only town on the island is Carloforte, founded in 1738, during the reign of Carlo Emanuele III, by a colony of Ligurian fishermen from Tabarka, an island in Tunisia, Ligurian colony owned by the Lomellini, at the times lords of Pegli, that in order to take advantage of the rich coral reefs had populated it with fishermen almost exclusively from Pegli.
In the first period of colonization the village was collected within the circle of the ramparts; the only brick buildings were the Castle, The Church and the home of the Duke. Even today the Ligurian origin of its inhabitants can be seen in urbanism in the country, as can be seen by visiting its old town, starting with the Boatmen waterfront where in addition to the monument dedicated to Carlo Emanuele III, we can admire the old buildings of the eighteenth and nineteenth century who were born during the period when Carloforte expanded beyond the walls.

Piazza
Piazza

HISTORIC CENTRE

The only town on the island is Carloforte, founded in 1738, during the reign of Carlo Emanuele III, by a colony of Ligurian fishermen from Tabarka, an island in Tunisia, Ligurian colony owned by the Lomellini, at the times lords of Pegli, that in order to take advantage of the rich coral reefs had populated it with fishermen almost exclusively from Pegli.
In the first period of colonization the village was collected within the circle of the ramparts; the only brick buildings were the Castle, The Church and the home of the Duke. Even today the Ligurian origin of its inhabitants can be seen in urbanism in the country, as can be seen by visiting its old town, starting with the Boatmen waterfront where in addition to the monument dedicated to Carlo Emanuele III, we can admire the old buildings of the eighteenth and nineteenth century who were born during the period when Carloforte expanded beyond the walls.

Museo San Vittorio

TORRE SAN VITTORIO

This museum is a newly opened multimedia and cultural center devoted to the spread of the history of Carloforte and of the island. Each floor covers a different time in Carloforte’s history: the ground floor focuses on the island’s geological development, the first floor documents the historical events between the Nuragic and the Roman Ages, the second floor presents the history of Carloforte, from the first settlements in the island to the arrival of the community from Tabarka in 1738. The 45-minute itinerary ends at the top floor of the observatory where visitors can enjoy the beautiful view of the island and its landscape.